My Life in YA

I love books. Especially Fantasy & Sci-Fi, but I need a little contemporary in between.

Tiger's Curse (Tiger Saga Book 1): A heart-pounding adventure...magical! - Colleen Houck I bought Tiger’s Curse on a whim once in my local bookstore. I’d never heard about it before, and the cover wasn’t appealing to me, but what attracted me to buy and read Tiger’s Curse was the synopsis. An Indian curse? Traveling halfway around the world? With a TIGER? It sounded amazing. While it was in fact pretty good (hence the 4-star rating), it wasn’t as amazing (a.k.a. 5-star rating) as I thought it would be.My main issue with Tiger’s Curse is that I expected a fantasy book, but to me it felt more like a book from the paranormal romance genre. There are some fantasy aspects and an exciting quest (more on that later), but don’t expect a tiger that can talk! Besides, I also read something wrong in the synopsis: I thought they were going to travel HALF the world, instead of going somewhere HALFWAY around the world. But that’s entirely my own fault.Another thing that irked me was that some things were so easy that it became unbelievable. Kelsey, the main character, works at a circus during the summer and has an instant connection with the white tiger Ren. But then Ren’s new owner, Mr. Kadam, shows up and asks if Kelsey wants to accompany him to India, because she’s done such a good job tending to Ren. I get why Kelsey would want to go, I mean it’s INDIA! But the way her (adopted) parents so easily agree. I mean, who let’s their (adopted) daughter run off to India so easily with an older man they don’t even know?Despite these things I found Tiger’s Curse to be a very enjoyable read. It was slow-paced, there are many descriptions that slow it all down, but I actually enjoyed that. I liked to read about the culture and the myths and everything else Mr. Kadam explains to Kelsey. The best part about this book is definitely the quests Kelsey and Ren have to go on to break the curse. It’s exciting, action-packed and very exhilarating!The romance was super sweet, he was simply amazing and I loved the two of them together. But, on the other hand, I also get Kelsey’s reluctance. I think maybe I would have felt the same way and it’s very believable. I also liked the fact that Kelsey was a bit older than most YA characters; she was 18 years old and just out of high school. I liked it for the sake of diversity in YA, but her age didn’t really set her apart because she’s just as naïve with boys as some other (younger) characters in other YA books.I really recommend this one for lovers of YA Paranormal Romance, as well as lovers of great action-filled quests and a sweet romance, between a gorgeous, Indian (supernatural) guy and a level-headed girl. It might be a bit slow to get in too, but you should definitely read on because it is worth it!