My Life in YA

I love books. Especially Fantasy & Sci-Fi, but I need a little contemporary in between.

Everneath 1 - Brodi' 'Ashton Everneath was one of those 2012 debuts that had me waiting on them since 2011, because the premise was just that good. Everneath is a YA mythology, and not the first retelling (loosely) based on the Persephone myth, but none of the others interested me as much as Everneath did. I’m so glad I picked it up, because I loved it!The beginning went a bit too slow for my liking, and at that point I thought the book was just ok. Gradually I began to really enjoy it and I ended up loving it. There were some surprising elements with side characters that I totally didn’t expect and the tension intensified to the point that I couldn’t stop turning the pages, because I had to find out how it was going to end. Because I had absolutely no idea how the story would end, and that’s such a good thing! The ending was bittersweet. It wasn’t really a cliffhanger, but it’s also not completely wrapped up. It’s a perfect ending that had me craving for more!There is no real love triangle in this book (good thing!). Sure, there are two boys in the story: the immortal Cole and Nikki’s ex-boyfriend Jack, and you can of course prefer either one of them. Nikki, who is a very believable character, isn’t debating whether to choose Cole or Jack, but debating between desperately trying to find a way to stay on the surface and just giving up. I surprised myself for being on ‘team Jack’, as I would often choose the supernatural being over the regular human boy, but with Jack it’s is a completely different story. He’s so sweet and he would do anything for Nikki. I’m honestly baffled how you could prefer Cole!Since I didn’t give this book 5 stars, I should state some negative points but I can’t really pinpoint what in this novel didn’t work for me. The only thing that I didn’t like was Cole, and I didn’t really get exactly how Cole was able to lure Nikki into the Everneath in the first place. What some people might bother is that the book alternates chapters between before the Feed and after. It didn’t bother me personally, because I like these kinds of things in books. Despite the slow start I ended up really enjoying Everneath and falling in love with this story. I have thought for a long time how many stars to give it – I kept wavering between a 4 or 5, so in the end I gave it 4.5 stars. This book is great for lovers of YA mythology ánd Paranormal!