My Life in YA

I love books. Especially Fantasy & Sci-Fi, but I need a little contemporary in between.

Time Between Us - Tamara Ireland Stone I absolutely love the idea of time travel. Imagine all the places you could go and past events you could witness! I’m also fascinated by the potential consequences time traveling could have. If you take that into consideration, Time between Us seems like the perfect read for me, right?Time between Us starts very effective, I was immediately pulled right into the time travel aspect of the novel, thinking what consequences this opening scene could have. On the other hand, the story doesn’t focus on the time traveling as much as I’d have thought. Did I mind? Yes because of my fascination with it. No because what’s left is still a beautiful (contemporary) story.What makes this story so great is the characters. Anna is great to read about and you can’t help but root for her. I think a lot of people can relate to her wish to travel, but feeling stuck in your hometown. Plus she works in a bookstore! I also love the supporting characters; Anna’s friends but most of all her family. I like it when family members are present in a character’s life because I have always had a great relationship with my own family, but I feel family members are very often ‘forgotten’ in YA novels. Now I did have some (minor) annoyances with Time between Us. First of all, I liked Bennett well enough, except for one thing. You see, Anna has this map of the world where she pins the places she has visited. I kind of felt at fist Bennett laughed because she hasn’t been to much places while he’s been everywhere thanks to his ‘ability’. There is something else, which I can’t tell you too much about because of spoilers. Basically, there has been a ‘consequence’ due to Bennett’s time traveling (not involving Anna) and I kept waiting when that would be explored and resolved. It could have been so exciting! It’s why I’m fascinated with time traveling! Of course that’s just how I read it, so don’t stop that from trying this book yourself.Why should you read Time between Us? Well, because it is a lovely story about two teens from different worlds (or rather times!) that can’t be together but are trying to anyway. Also, it’s set in the 90’s (because Bennett is from this time), how fun is that?