My Life in YA

I love books. Especially Fantasy & Sci-Fi, but I need a little contemporary in between.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer  - Michelle Hodkin The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer seemed so promising. It’s got a beautiful, eerie cover and a mysterious title and the premise was amazing. Unfortunately, for me it didn’t quite live up to its potential. Like I said, the cover and title promise a very haunting read and it sure was! The plot is very thrilling and there are some pretty scary moments. Also, the book is set up in the prologue in a very good way because you’re immediately thrown right into the mystery aspect. In my opinion Mara is a great main character and I liked her. I mean, when you help abused animals then immediately you’re a girl after my own heart. To be fair she does some bad things and she’s got some pretty big issues, but still I think she handled all that crazy stuff that’s happening much better than I ever could! Sadly, the very thrilling mystery took quite a backseat in many parts of the book and it focuses instead on the romance. For me, that was a sad thing, but it all depends on whether you like the love interest, Noah Shaw. I didn’t at all. He’s written like he is so perfect, even unbelievingly so and the fact that he likes Mara seems a little like wishful thinking. He is British, REALLY rich and every girl wants him BUT of course he doesn’t sleep with the most popular (and mean) girl in school. I also didn’t like Mara focussing so much on him. I wanted to read more about the exciting mystery! Luckily the ending was AMAZING again. It’s one of those endings with a huge cliffhanger and you’re DYING to know what happens next, and this kind of ending suits the book so well. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer unfortunately lost me at the romance part, because it took up way too many pages, and it was unbelievable. Despite that I really enjoyed reading it. It’s a bit hard to get into at first but it’s scary, haunting and a complete page-turner . Can't wait for the sequel and to hopefully get some answers!