My Life in YA

I love books. Especially Fantasy & Sci-Fi, but I need a little contemporary in between.

Fever  - Lauren DeStefano 4.5 stars.Fever is, much like its predecessor, a haunting story in a bleak and grim world. Where Wither was almost entirely set at Linden Ashby´s house, now Rhine has escaped the mansion we really get to see what´s become of the world.You can’t really compare Fever with Wither, because in Wither Rhine was bound to one place and her whole purpose was to escape. In Fever, Rhine has escaped and is trying to find a way back to New York, to her brother. There’s this whole world beside Linden’s house and this makes the story much more different, but in a good way. I think that if you loved Wither, you’ll love Fever too. The writing is beautiful again. It sucks you into the story until you can´t stop turning the pages anymore.Rhine and Gabriel fall from adventure in to adventure. But it´s not a thrilling and exciting adventure, it is a harsh trip. Take for example the first thing that happens in this book: Rhine and Gabriel, who’ve just escaped, are captured by a madwoman who owns a ‘circus’, which is basically a brothel. New characters are introduced and are as fully fleshed out and unique characters like the side characters in Wither were. And some of those characters from Wither even make an appearance here!I wish we got to learn more about Gabriel! In Wither he was just this sweet servant boy who had a great chemistry with Rhine, but because of all that happens in Fever, we don’t really learn more about Gabriel or who he is as a person. The only thing that’s stopping me from giving this book 5 stars is because of the grim world and all of the misfortune, it makes Fever such a depressing read. Days later I still found myself thinking about these characters. The Chemical Garden Trilogy is one of the best Dystopian series out there!