My Life in YA

I love books. Especially Fantasy & Sci-Fi, but I need a little contemporary in between.

Glitch - Heather Anastasiu Look at that beautiful cover! Besides that I think this is one of the best covers I´ve seen this year, I also liked that Glitch is a YA Sci-Fi book. After having read and absolutely loved books like Across the Universe and Cinder, I was pleased to find more books in this genre. Unfortunately, Glitch doesn´t deliver on the Sci-Fi aspect at all.Let me start with the positive points, because there aren’t many I’m afraid. First of all, the plot is okay and interesting, but on the other hand, it’s nothing special. It’s a very generic dystopian. Besides the plot, I liked Zoe as a character. She’s relatable enough and her reaction to these new emotions she experiences when glitching was fairly realistic. Although I have to mention that there are quite a few inconsistencies about these feelings and emotions. Thanks to her glitching, she is experiencing emotions for the very first time. She asks about the definition of the word ‘sorry’ and learns that reddening means embarrassment. I find that realistic. But, what I find inconsistent is that the narration acknowledges peoples’ emotions/feelings easily. Zoe would think things like ‘he looks frustrated’, etc. And all I could think was HOW DO YOU KNOW?! Then the negative points, which is actually all about the other characters who ruined this book for me. For example, the ONLY other girl that’s mentioned beside Zoe is Molla and she is described as being a very scared girl. This bothered me because I felt this was done to make Zoe look better and I DON’T need that. Adrien and Max are the supposed love interests of Zoe. But really, this isn’t romance. Adrien is obsessed and stalkerish and proclaims his love for Zoe the first day they interact. I knew upfront there would be a love triangle so I hoped I’d like Max better. Unfortunately, I didn’t. Fellow glitcher Max doesn’t take these new emotions so well and is super obsessed, clingy, needy and creepy. I understand this is what realistically could happen to a person under these circumstances, but if a dystopian book is so focused on the romance aspect than I at least need to like/care for the male leads. Now I’ve had to read about a guy that’s too creepy and a guy I didn’t really get to know except that he of course loves Zoe (and he has a very wise mother that he probably should listen to, but when’s that ever going to happen in YA?)I wouldn’t recommend this for big Sci-Fi fans, because Glitch is VERY focused on the romance aspect. I even think that people who seek a romance book will be more pleased with Glitch than readers who seek a Sci-Fi book. Just bear in mind that the male leads aren’t very lovable.